California Bus Accident Attorney
The Los Angeles area is home to one of the largest and most complex bus networks in the United States, with over 2,000 buses serving 120 routes across Los Angeles County.
These buses cover a broad service area and frequently encounter heavy traffic, particularly in metropolitan regions, which increases the likelihood of collisions and accidents. According to the FMCSA, 204 buses were involved in fatal crashes in 2021 nationwide, up from 164 in the previous year.
If you sustained injuries in a bus-related accident, you may be able to seek compensation for your damages. Our bus accident attorneys at Berberian Ain LLP can determine who is liable and help you file a claim for a fair settlement.
Definition of a Bus in California
The California Vehicle Code legally defines a bus in Section 233(a). It includes any vehicle used, designed, or maintained to carry more than 15 people, including the driver. Common types of buses seen in the Los Angeles area and California include:
- School buses and youth buses like sports team buses
- Public transportation network buses, such as those operated by the Los Angeles Metro
- Shuttle buses, such as those operated by airports, hotels, or corporations
- Long-distance charter and tour buses
This legal definition plays a role in your insurance claim if you’ve been injured by a bus in California. It assists your lawyer in identifying the appropriate party to file an accident claim against and can influence the compensation you may receive.
For instance, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration requires busses with a seating capacity of 16 or more to carry $5,000,000 in insurance coverage, increasing your possible collision settlement.
Common Injuries from Bus Accidents
Individuals injured in a traffic accident involving a bus, whether as passengers, pedestrians, or occupants of another vehicle, can suffer serious injuries. These injuries often result in expensive medical bills, loss of income, and enduring emotional consequences.
- Broken bones. Fractures often occur during direct impacts in a collision, where passengers are thrown against the bus’s interior, like seats or walls. They can also happen when passengers come into contact with unsecured items inside the bus, like luggage. Injuries can lead to prolonged immobility and may necessitate months of rehabilitation.
- Spinal cord damage. Victims of bus accidents might experience severe impacts to their back, neck, or spine during the crash. This trauma can harm the spinal cord, leading to serious complications like paralysis, loss of sensation, or impaired motor functions.
- Head damage and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). During a bus collision, impacts to the head can fracture the skull and harm or penetrate the brain, leading to a traumatic brain injury. These injuries can have lasting effects, including cognitive impairments and severe brain damage.
Who is Liable for Your Injuries After a Bus Collision?
Multiple parties could be responsible for your injuries in a bus accident. Our personal injury lawyers can help you identify who is responsible and seek compensation from the following potential at-fault parties:
- The bus driver. In cases where the bus accident occurred due to reckless or negligent actions of the bus driver, such as speeding, distracted driving, or not adhering to traffic signals like red lights, the driver could be held accountable for the accident.
- The owner or operator of the bus. Liability often lies with the bus’s owner or the operating company. They may be responsible for inadequate bus maintenance or negligent hiring and training of drivers, which can contribute to accidents.
- A local government entity. When a bus operated by a public entity, such as L.A. Metro is involved in an accident, the local government body, like a city or county government, might bear responsibility for any injuries. This liability can arise from their negligence, such as poor road maintenance or insufficient traffic control, which may have contributed to the accident.
- Another driver. When another driver’s reckless or negligent actions, such as road rage or aggressive driving, lead to a bus collision, that driver could be held responsible for the accident.
- The bus’s manufacturer. Some bus accidents may occur due to faulty parts or components, such as tires or braking systems. In such instances, the manufacturer of these parts may be held accountable for your injuries under California’s product liability laws.
How Our Attorneys Can Help You Receive Compensation
Whether the bus accident happened in downtown Los Angeles or Glendale, California, our qualified lawyers at Berberian Ain, LLP can help you receive the compensation you deserve. We will do the following to help you prove liability and get a fair settlement for your accident-related damages:
- Case evaluation. In a complimentary consultation, we’ll listen to the details of your accident, review relevant evidence, and conduct legal research to assess the strengths and weaknesses of your case. This enables us to guide you on the best legal steps to take next.
- Evidence collection. Our bus accident lawyers can help you build a strong case by collecting all relevant evidence. This can include police reports, medical reports, witness statements, bus routes and service logs, injury photos, and video footage depicting the crash.
- Determining liability and compensation. We will analyze the evidence to identify the party or parties responsible for your injuries. Additionally, we’ll use your medical records and expert evaluations to calculate the total amount of compensation you’re entitled to.
- Negotiation and legal representation. Berberian Ain LLP is skilled in dealing with California insurance providers and can manage negotiations with insurers on your behalf. We will vigorously negotiate to secure a fair settlement for you. If an agreement isn’t reached, we’re prepared to represent you in court and present your case to a jury to pursue a damage award.
Seek Fair Compensation with Berberian Ain LLP
When you’re injured in a private or city bus accident, you need experienced legal representation. These companies often have aggressive legal counsel that will try to minimize your settlement, preventing you from receiving what you deserve.
Our lawyers are experienced in negotiating with insurance companies on behalf of bus accident victims. We will investigate your case, develop a strong legal strategy, and fight for fair compensation. Contact us today to schedule a free initial consultation.